Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Watercolour Wreath Series - Three



Hello!  I’ve been doing a bit more watercolouring this week to continue my series of original art wreaths.  The first two of the series are Here and Here.  I’m trying to branch out  - so to speak - with some different styles of flowers and improve my brushstrokes.  This is such new territory for me, because whenever I’ve done original art in the past, I always sketch first.  Here, I’m starting just with brush and paint.  So...sometimes I have more success than others!  I’m also trying to develop my own style, and I think that takes a long time to figure out. So, I’ll continue to call these experiments :)!  Happy ones, because I’m enjoying myself, but still works in progress.  

Today I’ll start with this fun one that is supposed to be a loose interpretation of sunny ranunculus blooms.  I think that’s one unique thing about watercolour, it can be very detailed and precise as a medium, but it's often an equally successful medium by its suggestion of shape, with brushstroke and colour.  Your eye fills in the details and reads it as (hopefully) what the artist intends.  That said, my youngest son thought they were woodcuts!  (ha!) Obviously I still have a ways to go!  


All of these cards today are painted with Daniel Smith Watercolours.  This one above in Quinachridone Gold, Quinachridone Coral, Phthalo Turquoise, Hookers Green, Hansa Medium Yellow and Cobolt Blue.

The sentiment is Stamp Simply’s lovely set,  Encouragement Combo.


I love how these irises turned out, but they started out as a completely different flower!  But the more I looked at them, the more I saw iris, so that’s the direction I went.  I really wish I would have tipped that bottom iris a bit to the left so it followed the curve of the circle better, but once the paint is down, it’s down.  This design also uses the above Phthalo Turquoise, Hansa Yellow and Hookers Green, and adds Quinachridone Rose to mix with Cobolt Blue to create the pretty purples.  


 The sentiment is from Stamp Simply’s set Fear Not.


Lastly for today, I created some more tiny roses and greenery for this one.  I’m learning to start more gradually with softer colours and more washes rather than bold colour right up front.  In that way, it’s the opposite from Copics where you blend out your colour, watercolour is soft washes that build colour in layers.  Completely different mindset for my brain!  




This sentiment is also created with Stamp Simply’s set, Encouragement Combo.

And, all of these designs are painted on Strathmore Cold Pressed 140 lb paper.  It’s nice and sturdy for the card designs.  Heavy enough to even be used as card weight.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow these are all so very beautiful Christine
Gr Karin

Pauline said...

Wow! Christine these are all beautiful. Love them all but I would have to say my favourite is the 2nd one because of the colours! Your work is amazing!

Leslie Miller said...

You just get better and better, Christine! These are my favorites yet, I think, but I may have to go back and look at the others. I've admired all of them. I'm very impressed!

Conniecrafter said...

Wow these are just stunning, you do such an amazing job with the watercoloring, beautiful shades and style. I had to laugh when your son thought the flowers were wood, I imagine it is how you look at things, from a girls and guy perspectives :) How wonderful to make your own creations!

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Christine, your watercoloring is amazing, and each of these delight me and inspire me that someday I may try watercoloring. You've certainly continued to improve and delight us with your work. These cards are so very special with the Scripture verses inside the wreaths. They are such wonderful verses and will be encouraging to someone or as framed pieces. I especially love this kind of card, since it doesn't have a "time stamp" on it like one with happy birthday, etc. Thanks for sharing your work and gifts with us. Hugs and love! xoxo