Monday, April 8, 2019

Stained Glass Irises


Recently, I did a big organizing/purging of all my stamping supplies and stamps.  It took me a whole week of work, and in the midst of it I found all sorts of little gems that hadn’t see the light of day for a long time.  Two of those finds were some beautiful “stained glass” wood stamps of unknown origin.   I probably purchased them some time around my Dirty Dozen design stint at Splitcoaststampers.  Sheesh, that was 11 years ago.  So, though I don’t remember where these stamps came from, I thought they were just too pretty to not use one more time before I try to sell them.  I have another one that’s a stained glass tulip which I’ll show you next week.  If anyone remembers these stamps, let me know!  

I began by stamping the image with White Craft ink onto Strathmore watercolour paper and embossing in white.  I grabbed my Zig Clean Color Brush Markers to bring the stained glass “window panes” to life with vibrant but cool shades.  Zigs really have a lot of pigment, so they are perfect for a deeply coloured look.  I trimmed out the oval and set it aside.  


Next, I grabbed some Distress Oxide Inks (Wilted Violet, Mermaid Lagoon, Cracked Pistachio), and blended them on the cardstock, spritzing and blended some more.  The colours are so fabulous it almost glows!  I added a bit of shimmery mist splatters to give it some sparkle as well.  

Then, I pulled out a Spellbinders Die - Labels 10, because it has the long oval feel  the stamp has, and cut out a window in the middle.  I used the inside of the oval cut out as a frame for the irises and placed that on the inside of the card for a windowed design.  I framed the outside of the card with a scalloped rectangle die to frame it, and mimic the white of the stained glass embossing.  


It’s a bit harder to photograph standing up because it looks a little distorted with the inside window - but it gives you a different perspective on what it looks like.  I just could not take away from the beauty of the irises to add a sentiment, so it will be an all occasion card!  


4 comments:

Helen said...

Truly lovely, Christine. It's always fun to find an "old" stamp that just been waiting to reappear. Thanks for sharing this one.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh wow sounds like you have been very busy, I need to do that myself, maybe one of these days :) Love the stained glass look you have achieved and the colors are just beautiful!!

Traci M said...

Wow...your ability to add luminous colors always amazes me, Christine! I love the way you’ve brought the same colors in your background. I’ll be looking for your sales also. I do use the ones I’ve bought...especially the florals. So glad you got some spring cleaning done and made this beauty in the process. It’s a gorgeous card!

Daria said...

Beautiful! This is from Anita's Rubber Stamps.