Tuesday, April 16, 2019

An Abundant Wedding Bouquet


A friend of ours was married last weekend and it was lovely to see them commit their lives to each other.  They wrote and spoke some beautiful meaningful and personal vows that were very touching.  I’m not usually big on hand written vows because I have seen them not say enough - or try to promise the moon, but these were lovely and sacrificial, real and authentic.  A beautiful expression of their covenant to each other.  

I created this design for their wedding card with Power Poppy’s Abundant Petals, which is abudantly gorgeous!  I always have a hard time narrowing down which parts of this set I want to use. I stamped the peony, ranunculus florals and leaves onto Strathmore Cold Pressed watercolour paper with Distress Ink in Tea Die ink so the lines would fade a bit when watercoloured.  

Watercolouring is done with Daniel Smith Watercolours using Quinachridone Coral, Quinachridone Rose, Quinachridone Gold, Hookers Green, Jadite Green, Phthalo Turquoise, Lunar Violet and and Quinachridone Red.  


All of the elements were done with time between layers so that I could build up some colour vibrance in the blooms.  I used the Coordinating Dies for this set to put it all in pieces that I could work with to form the bouquet.  I’m not a flower designer so it take me a little bit of time to fiddle with it until I get an arrangement I like.  Then I took a quick picture of the way I liked it and worked on the background.  

I washed in some soft and watery Quinachridone Gold and Quinachridone Coral to the background, adding a bit of Quin. Rose as I went.  After it was all dry I took some light washes of colour to paint in some leaves and Ranunuculus into the background so it looks like it’s in a field of flowers, or part of a larger bouquet.  Just the soft suggestion of painted flowers really makes a lovely difference in the overall card.  



Here you get a better look at the background, and the brushed gold sequins to accent and the embossed sentiment from another Power Poppy set, Dream Wedding.  I splashed some leftover paint and shimmery gold spray at the end to complete the design.  Finished card is about 4 3/4 by 6” completed.  

Thanks for popping by!  


7 comments:

Helen said...

Your coloring is exquisite. Always ike what you do with the Power Poppy stamps. tfs

Pauline said...

Oh my this is gorgeous Christine! Beautiful water colouring, love the colours. A keepsake card for sure!

Conniecrafter said...

Wow that is just gorgeous, your coloring is stunning as is the wonderful way you did the background. Sounds like it was a beautiful wedding!

Leslie Miller said...

It doesn't get much prettier than this, Christine. I knew right away you'd created the background flowers yourself and, ohhhh, what a beautiful background it is. Absolutely divine. It sounds like it was a lovely wedding. It's the beauty from within that counts.

Davi said...

WOW that is stunning!! Your coloring is incredible! The flowers looks SO real. It is a gorgeous card, a real keepsake for your friends.

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Wow!! Breathtaking Christine, I don't have enough English words for this amazing piece of art.(English is not my native language.)
Thank you so much for sharing and have a wonderful Easter weekend.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Christine, what a glorious card! It's magnificent, and your coloring is amazing along with the stunning background! What a precious card for the couple, and what a blessing that the vows were such a beautiful expression of their covenant love for each other. Praise God! I know they will cherish this card and the note you've written inside. My DH gave me a beautiful card this Easter morning, and after seeing his card and now your stunning card (both with a large peony), I must get out this set and color!! Hugs and love, precious friend! xoxo