Friday, April 26, 2019

Made My Day Watercoloured Bouquet


The other week when I was making a wedding card for our friend,  I watercoloured extra flowers that I just couldn’t fit in the first bouquetin a way I liked.  I’m more floral colour-er than floral arranger, so I saved them for another card that I put together for today!  Again, I’m using the gorgeous jam-packed flora-bunga set, Abundant Petals from Power Poppy.  All stamped with Antique Linen Distress Ink onto Strathmore Cold Pressed watercolour paper.  I watercoloured with Daniel Smith Watercolours in some zippy shades of orange and purple.  

I think orange is an under-used colour don’t you?  It’s definitely bold and vivid, but it evokes such cheerfulness and life!  

I also made use of the technique I tried last week by washing in some soft freehanded florals in the background to give it a fuller feeling.  Loose background roses like this are actually pretty easy to watercolour.  


All the elements of the main bouquet are die cut using the coordinating dies for the Abundant Petals set.  The sentiment is also from the set and I’ve completed the design with some sequins.  

Loving the spring flowers to colour and also seeing things so many flowers popping up at home in my own flower gardens.  

If you’re interested, here’s the Daniel Smith colours I used:  Quinachridone Gold, Quinachridone Coral, Hansa Yellow Light, Quinachridone Rose, Imperial Purple, Lunar Violet (I really love this colour for shadows), New Gamboge, Permament Orange, Hooker’s Green, Jadeite Genuine.  

Allison Cope
Christine Okken

Julie Koerber
and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog

6 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

so beautiful and so soft Christine
Gr Karin

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous work with the water coloring, and your backgrounds are just so soft and lovely with your bouquets!

Traci M said...

So gorgeous, Christine!! I love your watercolor floral background also...it adds a lot! You are making beautiful cards with those watercolor paints. Orange is underused for sure...although I am partial to the corals. Just so lovely.

Leslie Miller said...

Ha, Christine, you make it look easy, but I'm pretty sure I could make a mess of it. However, the background is gorgeous on your card and you're so right about what a beautiful and effective filler it is. Totally agree about the orange. Underused and so cheerful. I think I need to go back to PP and get the dies for this stamp set. Even though I'm not much of a flower arranger, either, the individual pieces give you some wiggle room which you don't have with stamping directly onto the image panel. Plus no masking required. BTW, you underestimate your flower arranging skills. Love how these flowers look with the no line coloring.

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

This card, just like the one last week, is so stunning and indeed the colour orange is gorgeous and yet little used by colourists.
Thank you so much for sharing your awesome work and have a great weekend.

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Christine! I agree with Leslie why your flower arranging is excellent! What a stunning card with your wonderful background, and those flowers are gorgeous! I do love the vibrant color, and you surely use orange beautifully! I love it all, sweet friend! Thanks for inspiring us! Hugs and love! xoxo