Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Drawing Your Background and Modifying Stamps

 


Hello and welcome!  Today I’m bringing you a sweet little design that I used some artistic liscence on :)  I’m using Simon Say’s Stamps precious stamp set Spring Birds.  I love birds (except, I will admit not Magpies whom I have a particular love/hate relationship with....mostly hate because of their noise).   One of the birds I especially enjoy in Spring through Fall is the Red-Winged Blackbird that migrates here each year.  They have such striking colour and a distinct little call that is so pretty.  They are often found in more marshy areas where they build nests in the cat-tails, and the males like to perch on the thick stems in watch.   

I decided to alter one of the stamps from the set to resemble a Red-Wing Blackbird with black feathers and red/yellow “epaulettes” on their shoulders, a slightly longer beak and tail feathers, modified with my Multi-Liner pen.  

Then I wanted to create some cat-tails for him to perch on, but didn’t have any stamps like that, so I pulled out my pencil and drew in the cat-tails and grasses.  Cat-tails are pretty straitforward to draw if you think of them as hotdog shaped :)  It was all outlined in multi-liner pen and after I sponged in some sky and water with Distress Oxide ink, I perched the little bird over top.
  

The lovely patterned paper is from Craft Consortium, I die cut an arced window for the little scene with a Stitched Arch die from MFT, it’s my most recent favourite!  

The little sentiment is perfect sized and font and the addition of a wood veneer star completes the simple CAS lines.   Always fun to see something you imagine in your head come to life!  

Thanks for joining me today!

2 comments:

Conniecrafter said...

Great job altering the bird just a bit and drawing the cat tails, gorgeous!

Leslie Miller said...

You are so good, Christine! One would never know you'd altered this bird, and he looks right at home perched on your hand drawn cattail.