Friday, August 9, 2019

Blackberries from the Island




Happy Friday friends!  After a wee haitus I’m back with another creation for the Bloom Brigade at Power Poppy.  As I mentioned before, we spent a few days on Vancouver Island in July and thoroughly enjoyed the beauty of all that’s growing there.  I wanted to replicated some of the fruit we saw, so I printed out this gorgeous image from Power Poppy called Berry It, and took it along to paint while we were there.  I would have coloured them up as raspberries, but there were SO many blackberries growing wild on the Island, that I was inspired to change up my original idea.  I ended up loving how they turned out.  

I love how blackberries start so green and then as they ripen, develop shades of pink and almost black, so I used my Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolours and brought them to life.  


For the design, I fussy cut and die cut out the image to let the leaves and blossoms peek out of the die and added some tone on tone cream elements to add texture but not take away from the watercolouring being the focus.  A Spellbinder’s Die, White Pearl Embossing Paste through a Tim Holtz Gothic Stencil and then smatters of Champagne coloured glitter added to the wet embossing paste in spots to really sparkle, just a little bit of crochet ribbon completes the texture.  

Here are some pictures of the inspiration for my painting....


These are just starting to ripen.  They tower over streets and fences in the area.  



This is the lovely spot in the courtyard of the Air BnB that we stayed.  I’d sit outside in the golden afternoon sun and paint to my heart's content.  It filled up my spirit!  


You can see I’ve added the same Carbazole Violet that was used on the blackberries into the shadowed areas of the leaves.  It really adds such depth and interest.  I used Sap Green and Hansa Yellow Medium for the main colour of the leaves.  The touches of pink in the berries come from Quinachridone Violet, and Lunar Black adds more shadow to the berries.  

For more Bloom Brigade fun today be sure to pop by and see:

Allison Cope
Christine Okken

Julie Koerber
Stacy Morgan

and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog


8 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous colouring Christine it looks so real and elegant card

gr karin

Jeanette said...

Beautiful card Christine, I really love the way you colour your cards, you have captured the blackberries perfectly . Jeanette, New Zealand.

Stacy Morgan said...

Christine these look good enough to eat! LOVE your water coloring and the cream backdrop is the perfect touch and textures. Simply GORGEOUS!!!

Conniecrafter said...

Wow you did an awesome job coloring these! Love the touch of glitter on the embossing paste and finish off with the lace!

Camille Short said...

These are the most beautiful berries I've ever seen! Just elegant!

Sue L. said...

Absolutely Beautiful Christine. It seems you have added a 3D look to the blackberries with yr watercoloring. Also like the added touch of violet to the leaves. Plus the paste and the ribbon and the oval... can u tell I LOVE it all! 🤗 So inspiring.

What part of Vanc Island did you VISIT? I used to drive there each month to do the books of a hotel/beer parlour/lounge decades ago. Enjoyed the people and the town.

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Ohh wow Christine, this is gorgeous. You brought the blackberries realy to life. Always when people talk about wild blackberries I think of my dad (he past away 29 years ago)he brought often wild blackberries home from the dunes, he came by while he went to work or home.
I wonder how you die cut the oval while the bottom part of your image is hanging over?
I know you can partial die cut by putting your upper plate not to the end of the die but this is in the rounding of the oval.
Thanks for your gorgeous inspiration and have a great weekend.

Helen said...

Christine, your blackberries are amazing...you've captured the colors so well. The result is such a lovely card. tfs