Sunday, April 5, 2020

Call to Your True Colours Artwork


Blessings on this Palm Sunday to you!  I wanted to share an original piece of artwork I recently painted.  Watercoloured with Daniel Smith Watercolours on Arches Cold Pressed Watercolour paper.  

This season I began an Easter Art Exhibition at our Church with other artists around the theme "Vision of the Christ”.  Today it went live on-line and this is the piece I submitted.  It’s Called “Call to Your True Colours”.  Here is my description of the artwork. 

Luke 22:60-61 “Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed.  The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter”.  

DESCRIPTION OF THIS ARTWORK:

Though the rooster crowing must have been a moment of shame, fear and conviction for Peter, I think it equally as much was the moment Peter came to himself.  It was the call back to who he truly was.  A disciple of Jesus, a friend of the Lord, a man of conviction and faith.  Black roosters are never truly black, they reflect numerous colours in their feathers.  In this piece,  I tried to play up the underlying colours of the rooster to represent the call to Peter to come back to himself, and his true identity as a follower of Jesus Christ.  Now it is our call - come back to your true colours seen through Jesus’ eyes. 

Praying it invites and encourages you this Easter week! 

7 comments:

Dmorgan said...

Wow! Your picture is so truly beautiful and your explanation is wonderful! Thank you so much for share this. What a wonderful event this must be for all who see it!

Lyn said...

Beautiful <3 May Jesus return and rule soon <3

Helen said...

Your artwork is amazing...the colors so rich--perfect for your theme. tfs...stay healthy.

Annette:) said...

What a beautiful piece of art both visually and in the deeper meaning. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful week and God bless!

Sue L. said...

Breath-taking. I always seen the rooster as a cheerful bird. When I'd read abt Peter and the rooster calling him out, just as Jesus said he would, I've thought of Peter as shameful, disloyal. Your writing has given me a different perspective. I remember too at Peter's death, how he was placed upside down on the Cross because he felt loyal to Christ and unworthy to be placed upright, as Jesus was. Thankyou Christine.

Mary Holshouser said...

Gorgeous.

Leslie Miller said...

You, your art, the story... amazing!