Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Apples of Appreciation


I think with the changes we’ve all had to face in our world in the last six weeks, it helps you notice and appreciate others in a renewed way.  Because our daughter is a teacher and has had to move to on-line teaching I see the multitude of extra learning, preparation, tech support and improvising she’s had to do to deliver education to kids at home.  It’s a sometimes super-human task for a teacher who’s heart is for face-to-face teaching to now creatively engage kids online and my hat goes off to them!  

We have a lot of friends who are teachers.  So, over a few weeks I created cards for many of them to encourage them in what they are doing, knowing it’s not easy.  Sometimes it just takes a word of encouragement to dig it deeper or feel noticed.  

I pulled out two sets from My Favorite Things,  Lessons in Love  and MFT Favorite Teacher and stamped a bunch of male and female teachers, colouring them all up to look like all our friends who are teaching right now.  


We have two sets that are husbands and wives, and I did a little altering where appropriate in some glasses and facial hair, and colours I thought they might be wearing.  For the background of each card I used an old MFT stencil with the mixed up alphabet on it, sponging with Distress Ink. 


My lady teachers are wearing some denim skirts (complete with denim pattern lift from a pair of my husband’s old jeans and some Copic Blender Solution, and I’ve framed them with MFT’s Stitched Rectangle Scalloped Frame Die-namics.  


It was fun to alter the faces a bit for some of them.  The sentiment is embossed and I added a little apple for the teacher in different spots on each card.  

I have to say, I heard back from the teachers and each one of them said how meaningful it was, some even saying it made the last month worth it.  The power of encouragement is real friends!  Hopefully you can encourage someone today!

3 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

such beautiful cards you have made Christine
Gr Karin

Leslie Miller said...

As if a teacher's job wasn't hard enough already. Christine, I know how they all appreciated these cards. They must have been so touched that someone considered the extra effort they were making for our children. Love how you personalized them, making some husband and wife teams, some with facial hair and/or glasses. The backgrounds are very soft and pretty. Everything about these cards is perfect!

Conniecrafter said...

These are just wonderful, I am so appreciative that I have no kids in school now, my daughter is also teaching on line at Yale university, she is going through to get her Doctorate in Theology and she has said it is quite challenging.