Friday, April 5, 2019

A Bowl of Beauty



Anyone with me on this?  Colouring is my happy place.  I think it really hooked me when I was in Junior High, my friend who was two years older, lugged out some old Barbie colouring books and said, 'let’s colour this  - but more artistically, add shading and blend colours".  Both of us were budding artists and we’d spend hours bringing images to life.  Here I am, many years later, still loving that process of adding colour to something already full of beauty - bringing it to life, just in a more “grown up” version! (and way better than Barbie!). 

I spent some happy time with this amazing new image from Power Poppy called Bowl of Beauty.  It’s the fourth in a series of Café au Lait bowls that Marcy has illustrated, and wow is it a goodie!  Tree peony, hellebore, Spanish bluebells, and fern....and that polka-dot bowl?  MMM-good.  Plus, Marcy also included the flowers alone without the bowl for this release, so you can really play with a lot of gorgeous options.  


Colouring with Copics, finished with a bit of Prismacolor Pencil to add in details and shading.  The sentiment is from the sassy Succulent Singles set to make it a Birthday design.  Embellished with  iridescent gems that reflect some of those jewel blues and purples to match the overall design.  


Christine Okken
Julie Koerber
Katie Sims
Stacy Morgan

and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog

7 comments:

Pauline said...

Oh Christine, this is absolutely stunning! Your colouring and your colours are fabulous. Love the tones of the blues, greens, mauves and coral - wow what a beautiful bouquet! TFS

Leslie Miller said...

I feel what you're saying about the coloring, Christine. Funny, but when I was a very young adult my friend and I did the same with coloring books. As far as I know, stamping wasn't around then, but aren't we lucky now? How exquisitely beautiful this is!

Sue L. said...

This is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS Christine. Thank you.

Conniecrafter said...

You have a wonderful way with your coloring, an artist through and through. I may not color well but I do enjoy it and I think that is what matters the most!

Traci M said...

This is stunning...and in a pretty life giving bouquet way!! Your mixture of color rivals nature’s beauty. I am a bit intimidated by these large stamps of Marcy’s, but agree they are exquisite!!

Kathy Jones said...

OMGosh Christine!!! This is beyond exquisite!!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Christine, my hand is raised as well. I always loved coloring as far back as I can remember. Laying down on the floor with coloring book and crayons. And I was the "one" who always loved to stay in the lines. Haha! Still struggling with that one! Anyway, I do find especially now how relaxing coloring is -- when I allow myself the time. Need to work on that one. However, this is absolutely exquisite and so over-the-moon gorgeous! Your coloring is amazing, and I love the color variations in your hellebore and the ferns. Beautifully done! Hugs and love! xoxo