Friday, March 8, 2019

Moody Primroses


I’m sure you’ve started out with a card vision in your head and thought about it might come out, and then there are those times that it comes out nothing like you had in your head...well this was one of those times.  But, hey, I thought I’d put it up anyway, since I fitzed and fussed with it so much today.  Marcella just released the lovely Primroses set in digital form this week, and they are such a pretty sign of spring, with their vibrant colours, that I wanted to colour them up again. 

I wanted to watercolour this time, so the image is stamped on Strathmore watercolor paper, and I do like elements of it.  The leaves turned out pretty, and I like the background, but with all the painting and overpainting and glazing I did, I feel like the blooms got muddy.  I don’t really like that in watercolouring.  Watercolor to me should keep that transparent feel- but we’ll call them “moody” in code, and you’ll know what I mean!  :)


I splashed and spritzed some glitter spray onto the panel, and created the background with Distress Oxide inks and spritzes of water.  


The sentiment background is also watercolored and I’ve added iridescent sequins, washi tape and felt flowers as accent.  

Its full of colour and that’s always fun, but it’s definitely “moody!”  

For more FUN inspiration (that’s probably not “moody”)....
Allison Cope
Christine Okken
Cindy Lawrence

Stacy Morgan
and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog

8 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's a beautiful and vibrant card Christine
Gr Karin

Cindy Lawrence said...

I think the "moody" feel works so well on this, Christine. It has a soft, painterly feel, and your color palette is just yummy!

Traci M said...

I actually love it...especially the background you achieved with all that messing around!! Christine, it’s a wonderful card! So vibrant and all the details you’ve added!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, no, now I worry that my watercoloring looks muddy because if I'd colored it I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with it, but I suppose it all depends on the vision in your head. Who knew primroses could be moody? I think it's fabulous, Christine!

Henriëtte Creatively Happy said...

Sometimes a card is moody and beautiful at the same time and that is what happend to your card! My opinion is that what you cold moody makes the Primroses more realistic.
Thank you for showing Christine and have a great weekend.

Camille Short said...

This is just beautiful! I'm blown away!

Stacy Morgan said...

So cheerful and pretty. The felt flowers are awesome. The water color again looks bold and cheerful on these pansies.

CherylQuilts said...

Ooh, Christine! These are gorgeous, and I love the "moody" primroses. Your watercoloring is always a "journey" IMHO. And I love that you dared to color these so beautifully and ended up so rich. I love the watery background too and the wonderful layout! Truly quite an amazing card, sweet friend! I want to put my "toes in the water" and just pick up a brush and color. You inspire me! Hugs and love! xoxo