Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Transforming Watercolour Bloom to Lavender Fields



In my watercolour class, one of the early exercises we did was work on our watercolour washes, blending from one colour to another with a flat brush.  Despite being told that you can’t add more water into a wash than is already present, especially once it’s stopped being shiny,  I thought I could just rework my purple a “WEE" little bit more without dabbing my brush off of too much water....what happens is called a watercolour “bloom”, where the colouring seeps away and forms a line that should not be there :(  bummer.  Lesson learned.  But as I looked at it after it dried a few days later, I thought maybe it could look like a lavender field and I could rescue it.  So, I added in some more hills,mountains and soft flower definition and viola!  A very clean and simple watercolor card that I really like.  


You can see my “bloom” at the edge of the lavendar fields where it has a fuzzy line and then fades to the white of the first hill.  I tried to make the most of it!  Stamped with a lovely sentiment that seemed to fit, from Power Poppy’s Soothing Sympathy set.  The background is stencilled/sponged with a Tim Holtz Bubble Stencil, and some Soft Sky ink.  That smile bit of washi tape anchors the image.  



4 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Christine, what a beautiful card, and I love how the watercoloring lines turned out beautifully for your lavender fields! It's a great reminder of how God is the one Who decides how things turn out, and we often see how much more beautiful something is and that God makes everything beautiful in His own time. This is inspiring, and I have to catch up on this class myself. I've enjoyed seeing what you've done!! Hugs, sweet friend! xoxo

Conniecrafter said...

Glad you went back, love the lavender field you created !!

Melody W. said...

Awwwwwww, this is sooooo pretty ! The scene you created really gives me a relaxed and peaceful feeling. The sky, mountains and lavender field, they just look so perfect together !

Traci M said...

This is so lovely, Christine!! I love the depth you’ve achieved and the simplicity of those lavender blooms in the foreground!! I’m really curious ow which class you’ve been taking!