Friday, December 7, 2018

Peace Painting



Good Morning Friday Friends!  I am revelling in a winter wonderland here.  We received 34 cm, or just over 13 inches of snow this week, AND I was able to take a work trip to the mountains!  You couldn’t ask for anything better in my book.  Makes you just wanted to snuggle up and be cozy.  

I have a confession to make....I haven’t done ANY Christmas decorating yet.  None.  The way November worked out with our trips, and now coming back into Advent Season in ministry, there’s just been no time.  So, while we were away I took along a new digital image printed on Arches Watercolor paper, from Power Poppy called Ultimate Poinesttia, (also available in polymer as a stamp set called Winter Wonderland) and my Zig Clean Colour Real Brush Watercolour markers, and spent an afternoon painting a small piece that can sit on our picture shelves at the front door.   Watercoloring always slows me down in all the best ways.  

The Zig Clean Colour Real Brush Markers add a LOT of deeply pigmented colour.  I find if I’m doing a more fine art piece like this, I have to put the colour on a palette and just pick it up with a paintbrush at first to develop my glazing layers, otherwise, you get a lot of staining and then it’s harder to move the colour with the brush.  


This gorgeously scripted sentiment is from Marcy’s set, Amaryllis Bliss.  I love the beautiful jewel tones and the richness of the pink poinsettia paired with the white anemones.  The finished piece is about 5 x 7, and works perfectly in an inexpensive IKEA frame.  


Here it is a the front door on our rustic pictures shelves.  A pop of Christmas until I can hopefully get to putting up the tree and the rest of the decor this weekend!  And it would work beautifully for a gift item too - which is the theme of this week’s Creative Confetti Challenge at Power Poppy!  Pop on in and join us!  Each month someone is chosen to win a $50 Gift Code to the Power Poppy Store! That makes a fun Christmas Gift for you!

Christine Okken
Katie Sims
Stacy Morgan

and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog

4 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Christine, what a GORGEOUS piece to add to your décor. It's stunning, and the colors are amazing and so vibrant. I love how you've framed it in the white frame...truly makes this image front and center. So glad you enjoyed coloring this on your trip. It is amazing, and I have to play with my Zig markers one of these days. I so admire your work! Sending hugs and love, sweet friend! xoxo

Helen said...

Christine, this painting is stunning--the colors so vibrant. tfs

Conniecrafter said...

that is great you were able to get some creative time in there, love your watercoloring and it would make a lovely gift too, especially if I could color as nice :)

Leslie Miller said...

Sigh... saw this on IG. My jaw has dropped.