Thursday, May 7, 2009

His and Hers

It's a fun day in the pre-release challenges over at Flourishes Today. We've called it "His and Hers".....this challenge is all about finding the versatility in your card layouts. Creating something masculine and feminine using the same layout.

On the left you'll see my masculine version and then on the right (obviously hey?) is the feminine.

What makes a card masculine or feminine do you think? These cards use the same layout and stamp sets, they are both colored with copics, both use the same Deckled Rectangle Nestabilities...yet they look decidedly different.

For me having it be masculine or feminine is all in the color choices, the treatments used on the papers, and the accents added.

Here on the masculine version I used neutral colors in my Copics, adding neutral sponging in the main image layer. I used Jenni Bowlin papers in the chocolate color (making the dots a caramel color with my Copics). I added texture to the bottom half of the card with my Texturz plate and sponged the edges to give it a deeper warmer feel.

Accents are simple, not frou-frou at all :), simple ribbon with no bows, and hardware. Every man loves hardware right? (lol)


Now for the feminine version...a totally different feel, a little more layering, definite feminine colors, very feminine ribbon, and eyelet border, the addition of swirly piercing and rhinestone accents. Totally gives it a feminine feel don't you think?

So now it's your turn! Make a feminine card and then, using the same layout, give it a masculine spin. Upload this to SCS or your blog (or both) with the keyword fllcmay and then link it at the Flourishes Newsletter. This contest will close at 5 PM Eastern on Friday the 15th. The winner of the drawing will take home all three of the new releases! Fantastic ones I might add.... :) We'll be showing you sneak peeks starting next week! Thanks for dropping by today!

Here's the DT Girls' creative His and Hers Challenge cards to give you a creative jumpstart....

Cindy Lawrence
Faith Hofrichter
Julie Koerber
Latisha Yoast
Leslie Miller
Stacy Morgan

13 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

My goodness, Christine! Your Copic coloring on these is just exquisite! Beautiful cards! I enjoyed your thoughts on the masculine/feminine thing, too. This challenge has helped me a lot with my masculine cards, I think. Just start with a feminine card in mind, and change a few things such as you mentioned. Makes it easier, somehow!

Tracy said...

This set is fantastic!! Your coloring is so beautiful, the images just leap off the cards! Bravo, friend!

Stacy Morgan said...

These are both beautiful Christine! Your coloring is fantastic on them. Both are so different and yet the same. I love them both.

Latisha said...

Both of these are beautiful, I love that you used the Figs set, I didn't even think of that. Gorgeous coloring!

Cindy Lawrence said...

Gorgeous cards, Christine!!! Love your coloring and shading...YUMMM!

Linda Carson said...

WOW! Outstanding & creative artwork! Love em both!!

Betty Wright said...

Christine, these are so stunning!!!! LOVE the saturation of your coloring with the copics!!! Lovely cards!!!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Christine, your coloring is always so rich and gorgeous!!! I'm constantly in awe!! Both of these cards are stunning!! From the sketch to the embellishing, to the rich, gorgeous, earthy and vibrant colors!! WOW!!

Dawn B. said...

Beautiful coloring Christine. I love vibrant look of both images. These are some of my favorite images. Great layouts. Super job.

Lesley said...

What an amazing pair of cards Christine...I love the sponging you did on the nesties cut outs and the pretty image you used! Thanks for the inspiration, I think I will try this challenge later today!!

Smiles,
Lesley :)

Jackie Pedro said...

Hi Christine!! These are so BEAUTIFUL!

Linda Bandow said...

My goodness these are plum gorgeous! I like how you used the same design and gave it a different flavor just in color use. Thanks for sharing

Rose Ann said...

Incredible coloring on these, Christine!! Just gorgeous!!