Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Nostalgic Irises with Honey Bee Stamps



Not long after we were first married and were living in the US, we bought our first home from an elderly woman in our Church.  She could no longer care for the yard and all that went with it, so when we first moved it I had A LOT of work to do on the yard.  Years of neglect of the flower beds had to be dealt with, but over and over I found wonderful surprises pop up.  One of them was a stunning burgundy iris with the deepest wine shaded petals I’d ever seen.  It’s one thing I miss greatly from that home.  

So, I had the BEST time recreating that Iris with the new Lovely Layers: Iris -Honey Cuts from Honey Bee Stamps.  This die set is so detailed it will delight you.  I cut all the layers and pulled out some of my distress inks to ink blend colour throughout the petals.  Our original iris didn’t have as much warm orange, but it worked on this design to help create a sense of dimension.  


I think there are about six layers of the petals stacked up on each other, and I’ve glued or popped up the layers in sections to really get that 3D look.  I splattered some watered down Lunar Paste for some shimmery shine. 

The golden Spellbinders frame is cut in several layers from Kraft cardstock and then I’ve used Lunar paste to “gild” it in gold.  The plaid background coverplate is from Waffle Flower - Sweet Plaid.  It’s perfect for some textural touches.  


The foiled sentiment is from Spellbinders Slimline Confetti Background with a lovely script.  And then a few gold sequins sprinkled add some accent.  Thanks for joining me today!  

No comments: