Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Power Poppy’s Creative and Curious Release! Poppy XL & Big Sexy Leaves

Well, we’re beyond excited to bring you Power Poppy’s new Release!  It’s called Creative and Curious, and, as I’ve been mentioning the past few weeks, I think it’s some of Marcy’s finest artistic work.  You’ll find a little bit of everything good in this release, flowers, nature, new life, and vibrance.  It reflects the heart of Marcy and the heart of a beautifully creative and dynamic God.  It’s going to be a great week ahead!  

  

Today we’re kicking it off with two gorgeous sets, Poppy XL and Big Sexy Leaves.


It’s so fun to have a fabulous giant poppy for a company called Power Poppy!  This beauty is amazing.  There is so much room to really bring life to the design with colouring!  I’ve chosen to start with the orange version, but imagine this in reds, pinks or yellows?  Sigh!  

To maximize that long leggy poppy (can’t you imagine them swaying in the wind?), I decided to go with a tall and narrow size of card.  Just the right size to fit in a bank envelope.  I coloured the flowers and leaves with Copics, and in my research I found a really lovely orange poppy that has a purple center.  I also decided to colour block the card with those orange, purple and green shades.  


To soften a bit of the orange designer paper (from MFT), so it wouldn’t overpower the bloom, I layered some scalloped edged vellum and sewed it on.  This way it’s the poppy that shines not the paper.  



Here you can see a bit of the sewing between layers, the pretty orange ribbon (which I believe came on some of my Power Poppy stamps), and the sentiment. Aren’t those words sweet?!  How I love when we cheer each other on!  


Next up is Big Sexy Leaves!  


This is Power Poppy’s first background stamp!  And isn’t it a showstopper?  I was so delighted by the amazing array of tropical leaves that really could be done in so many different colour palettes.  I’ve found some fabulous inspiration photos that I’ll use in the future with this one.  Today, I wanted to go cool and lush, so it’s greens, purples and blues.  The card is 5 1/4 x 5 1/4 so that gives you the feel for how large and beautiful it is.  I think it would look great embossed in black too - so I’m looking forward to trying that as well.  


For the sentiment I used a pretty die from The Cat’s Pajamas, cut it out 3 x in black cardstock, glued the layers together so that it would have some dimension and then layered it on vellum, this way the sentiment stands out from the design, but you don’t lose the colour of all the leaves.  A few black sequins finish it off.  


For lots more beautiful inspiration from our Creative and Curious Collection and the Bloom Brigade with these fabulous new sets pop on by...


SaveAllison Cope
Christine Okken (you are here)
Cindy Lawrence

Julie Koerber
Katie Sims
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker

and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog

17 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, wow! Christine, this is gorgeous, and I love the tall card with this stunning poppy...just love the colors you've used! Love the color blocking and agree that the vellum softens the DP to make the poppy pop! And oh my, I LOVE your second card so much! As I look out my craft room, I see one of our large philodendron plants with the giant leaves. They are lush and so beautiful as they grow and become like large bushes (and trees as the trunk grows). I love them so much, and you've really captured them in your coloring. I love the various greens and blues of your leaves along with the beautiful BV for the background. The sentiment die is perfect over this, and I absolutely LOVE It! This is a must-have for me. Totally in love with this card! Hugs, sweet friend! xoxo See you tomorrow!

KarinsArtScrap said...

gorgeous colouring and cards Christine
gr karin

Leslie Miller said...

So much beauty I can hardly stand it! What's a girl to do? Buy it all? I can't wait to see more!

Lisa said...

Wow! 2 amazing cards that are very different but both pack a whammy of a visual punch! Wonderful job showing off these new sets!

terriavidreader (IN-USA) said...

This poppy is absolutely gorgeous.

Pauline said...

Christine, both cards are amazing! Love the tall poppy - gorgeous colours, and beautiful colouring. I like your idea of using vellum to soften the dp! Your second card is so vibrant of greens, blues and purples, absolutely love these colours. I say well done on both. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the release.

lynda said...

Ohhhhh my!! Both stunning show-stoppers! Love, Love, love the depth of color in both these cards. I know I NEED both of these stamps! You certainly have an amazing and fabulous color sense!

Cat Arenzana said...

So beautiful! The colors on the poppy are so happy! And the leaves are fabulous!

Stacy Morgan said...

Christine I can't get over how you colored these leaves... So very awesome! Great poppy and the little bit on the sentiment tag is darling. Beautiful cards!

Camille Short said...

These are gorgeous! The poppy is perfect and the colors you used for the leaves...super!

Dr Sonja said...

Very lovely. Can't wait to see the entire release.

Tracey Magner said...

Hi, I feel really bad I didn't have time to leave comments on the other girl's blogs, they did amazing, BUT I had to make time to leave you a quick comment on your two cards, Your coloring is STUNNING!!!! On both cards, just truly AMAZING, that leaf card just blew me away with the colors you choose and your awesome coloring, all I cam say is OMG girl, that is some amazing talent!!!!

Die Cut Lady said...

Loving the new stamps and beautiful cards.

Lady Bug Stampers said...

Oh my your cards are just stunning. Love the background stamp it is so unique. The poppy is out of this world gorgeous. Would love to own all the flower stamps from Poppy Power!!!

D.Ann C said...

What cool colors you chose for your leaves!! Love that poppy and your use of a bit of it in your sentiment circle!

Conniecrafter said...

wow your coloring on both of these is just so outstanding, love your tag on the first too!

AndreaH said...

I wouldn't of thought of doing a long length card for the leggy poppy. BRILLIANT . Love your colouring on both cards. TFS xx