Monday, February 1, 2016

Watercolour Pair - Bold & Soft




Hello February!  It’s amazing that we’re 1/12 through another new year!  Today I thought I’d show you a pair of designs that I did some watercolouring with.  When I saw the very fun Wreath Building Kit set from The Cat’s Pajamas and I saw that fun circular-nestlike Grapevine Wreath image in the set I wanted to see if I could do something totally abstract with it with some watercolouring.  So for this card I used some watercolour paper and embossed the circular doodly image several times on the page in white.  Then I used some reinkers and washed some bold colours on the page and it resisted the circular embossing.  I let it bleed where it wanted to, adding more pigment where I wanted.   It’s good to pick coordinating colours for this style because where the colours bleed together you don’t want it to look muddy.  

To finish the design I added a die cut grapevine wreath from the CutUps die for this set on top, and added a pretty sentiment on a vellum strip.  The sentiment is from TCP’s Simply Stacked Sentiments set.  


I also tried a softer watercolour wash with a different technique for the other card in the pair.  So here they are together.  



On this design I stamped the grapevine wreath in different colours of ink and used a waterbrush to spread out the ink I had just stamped.  Then I added some diecut Grapevine Wreaths overtop and added a sentiment strip on this one in vellum as well.    I think the combination of the stamped grapevine wreath and the die cut grapevine wreath make a great combination together.  

One soft and one bold!  So many possibilities for colour in this style too.  Easy and fun to create.

Here’s the rules for our TCP Anything Goes Challenge!  Jump on in!

  1. If you want to play along you just upload your design to The Cat’s Pajamas blog page using the InLinkz button.
  2. Cards and projects are not required to use a Cat’s Pajamas Stamp or CutUps die but if you do the Cat Cash amount increases.
  3. On the following TCP Tuesday, the week’s winner will be chosen from the previous challenge and will receive a Cat Cash Voucher for $10 or $15 if a TCP product is used.



5 comments:

Brenda said...

Christine! I LOVE this. Way to think out of the box...or should I say grapevine :] .

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful cards Christine
Gr Karin

Bajalizzy said...

those two cards are awesome

schmangela said...

Can you tell me what ink colors you used for these cards? I love the color combo! : )

Unknown said...

The colours on this card are beautiful!

Rebecca - Houlding Hands