Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cute Custom Flower Barrettes

How is your post Christmas week going?  We had a great Christmas, but unfortunately the stomach flu found our home right after Christmas, meaning we didn't go to the mountains as planned.  Really a bummer :(

I enjoyed the giving this Christmas :)  We have four little nieces under the age of 7.  They are all girly girls, with pretty hair that begs to be "embellished" :)  So this year for Christmas, I made them each special hair barrettes.  It's actually a very easy project, and they turned out SO cute!


I started out with some felt, my Grand Calibur and this great Spellbinders Spiral Blossoms One Die from Flourishes (and the die is on sale right now :) ).  A heavier wool felt is far superior for this project, cuts like buttah!  But, you can also use regular crafting felt too.  You'll just have to run it through your machine more than once and be willing to snip any fuzzyness.  I taped my die to the felt so that when it ran through the machine more than once (this was the crafters felt), it would stay in place and not slip. 


Here are the other supplies I used:  The leaves are made from the Blossom Tags Accents Die (also on sale!).  Then I found some barrettte hardware at the craft store, and my hot glue gun.  


Starting from the outside of the flower and working in, roll up the blossom allowing the petals to become "rose-like".   


With your hot glue gun, add a small blob of glue onto the center of the wide-est part of the petal middle and attach your rolled flower.  Allow to cool. 


Add a line of hot glue to the top of the barrette hardware.  Lay leaves overtop of hot glue.


Add a larger circle of hot glue onto center of leaves and attach rolled felt rose.  When cool snip any threads of glue.  

DONE!  


And seriously aren't they the cutest?  I'm so happy with how they turned out.  They are so simple to make and yet make such a pretty custom hair barrette for pretty little girls!  I even put one on my 15 year old daughter, and it looked so great in her hair too.  

Come back tomorrow for Flourishes Friday and I'll show you how I packaged them.  Too cute :)

2 comments:

Conniecrafter said...

very cute!
Sorry to hear the flu stopped at your house, hope everyone is doing much better

Stacy Morgan said...

whohoo... oh these are so clever and pretty. I bet they were thrilled. Wonderful creativity Christine! Hope you had a wonderful and relaxed Christmas.