Monday, May 11, 2009

First Mommy's Day

I mentioned last week that I wanted to show you what I made for my sister-in-law's first Mother's Day present. I'll never forget my first Mother's Day as a mom. It was full of special moments. I remember the year before our daughter was born. We were wondering if we'd have a baby, only to get pregnant and then lose our first pregnancy. It was heartbreaking (I'm sure many of you know this first hand). So to finally have our daughter and on that 2nd Sunday in May when all the mothers stand up at church and take home a flower honoring moms, I just felt so grateful and full of joy.

I know for my sister-in-law seeing this day come to reality is special, and I wanted to commemerate that for her. I'm not much of a scrapbooker anymore, but I've been collecting pictures I've taken of my niece over the past 10 weeks to use for this very thing. Wow has she grown!

So I photo-edited all the pictures into black and white, softened all the edges in my editing software, and just made a sweet simple accordian mini album on paper coasters. This way she can put it on her dresser or desk and be reminded of the sweetness of her girl.


Here is the album cover...Bella Toile background and Lots of Tags Sizzlit frame, I just handwrote on the cover. The ribbon looks wonky here, but it really was straight! I think I must have pulled it when I set it down for the photo. This next shot is a bit dark, but you get the feel for the spread of the album...


Here is the inside....simple accents like eyelet borders, felt flowers, a little ribbon and Lovely Letters to spell out Mommy. I hinged each section with a scored section of Basic Gray cardstock and ribbon. I kept it very simple to highlight the pictures not the book.


I loved it and thought it was a sweet gift, but to see my sister in law when she opened it, she burst into tears. I know it meant a lot to her. Sometimes it's just the simple gifts from the heart that mean so much. Isn't this little sweetheart beautiful? Oh we adore her.




This is Adeline yawning :) and their happy little family at Easter (my brother is the happy Daddy).

Come on back tomorrow (Wednesday) ...it begins new release week peeks from Flourishes! I'm so excited!

Recipe: Stamps: Bella Toile, Lovely Letters; Paper: Basic Gray, Whisper White, Pink Pirouette, Bella Rose DSP; Ink: Basic Gray, Pretty in Pink; Accessories: Big Shot, Sizzlits (Lots of Tags), Eyelet Scallop Border, Felt Flowers, Gray Taffeta Ribbon, Striped Pink Pirouette Ribbon, Mono Multi Glue, Dimensionals, Glue Dots, Wide Oval Punch.

20 comments:

Lesley said...

Oh my Christine...your post gave me tears too! What a special gift...

Lesley :)

Karen W said...

wow, what a beautiful gift for her. Just gorgeous.

LeAnne said...

Very sweet, Christine! Your brother & SIL and baby are ADORABLE, as is your project! TFS!
LeAnne

Judy Rozema said...

Christine, that is such a sweet, beautiful gift. I know they will treasure it!

Jessica Diedrich said...

Oh, this is SO beautiful! Love those black and white closeups!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

very sweet, very thoughtful. :)

Renée said...

This is gorgeous, Christine! Love the black and white photo's. What an awesome gift!!

Tracy said...

This is such a lovely gift, on so many levels! Gifts from the heart are always so special!

Denise Marzec said...

Oh Christine, what a truly WONDERFUL gift for your SIL. She's gonna LOVE it!!

Kirsten said...

This is a stunning gift. It is so beautiful and so full of love and memories, what an awesome gift to give.

Linda Carson said...

WOW! What a priceless gift!

Rose Ann said...

It's the best gift, Christine!! So special...and I'm sure it will be treasured always!!

Amanda said...

How beautiful!!! I know she will cherish that for years to come!!

Michelle Woerner said...

Oh Christine! This is so wonderful. I love all the pictures and the decoration is just enough to be pretty without competing with that precious little one! Happy Mother's day to you BOTH!! Hugs,

Michele Boyer said...

Oh wow! What a beautiful, heartfelt gift!! Awww...SO very special! I'm sure this will be treasured always!

Stacy Morgan said...

This is so thoughtful and sweet. She is going to love this Christine, wonderful gift for your SIL.

Broni said...

This is just the most thoughtful and beautiful first Mother's Day gift ever! No wonder your SIL cried. I'm sure she'll cherish this forever!!

Valerie said...

What a beautiful gift, filled with love, and it shows!

Dawn B. said...

OH I would have cried like a baby myself. This is beyond precious. What a wonderful gift Christine... She must have loved this...Very special.

lilpunkinsmimi said...

Christine, this is absolutely charming:) Looking through this album just melted my heart! I love the soft pink w/the black & white photos. Absolutely precious! What an awesome, thoughtful gift! TFS