Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fabulous Friends Challenge & Ribbon Rose Tutorial

Well, it was such a fun time at the SU Regionals with Laura and Dawn last weekend. Laura suggested that we do something that Beate and Sharon Harnist did when they went to a Regional....keep one of the make-and-takes to do at home...each adding their own creativity to it and then uploading their creations the same day.

Well, we decided to do the same! We kept out one of the Make and Takes...I only stamped the image there (we could choose if we wanted to use that image or a different one), and we're all uploading them today. The rules were that you had to use everything that was supplied...but you could add anything. It was a pretty clean and simple make and take, so of COURSE I added :)


That day we saw a great WOW demo by an Alberta Rising Star Demonstrator Dorothy Seatter (it really brought the whole room to gasp WOW!) ...she had seen a Ribbon Rose tutorial on a blog from someone in the US...she thought it was someone called imasillystamper, but despite all of Dawn, Laura and my looking, we can't find her or her blog...so remember this didn't originate with me...and if you know the original source let me know

...ETA I've found her! Or at least she found me! Kirsten Brown was the source for this woman at Regionals. Her blog is imstampsilly.blogspot.com...and her tutorial link is here! Thanks so much Kirsten!
So I thought I'd give you a little Tutorial on it...then after I'll explain more about the card. Ok...keep in mind that I've been painting for 3 days...and my hands look terrible! Even with using nail polish remover - I can't get some of the primer off! Instructions below each picture.



Here's the ribbon, she said about 6 inches minimum, this one is about 12 inches long.


At the center point fold over as shown above.

ETA...some people are telling me they are getting lost from the above picture to the next picture....I'll try and describe it because I don't have another picture. The ribbon in the above picture that is on top, coming toward you now will be folded underneath and away from you over the right pointing ribbon at 90 degrees - leaving the tail end of the (formerly down) ribbon pointing up. Then the right side ribbon will fold underneath (away from you) ending up with the tail pointing left......does this help? This gets you to the next picture...



Then, continue taking each tail, fold backwards behind each tail of ribbon, criss-cross at 90 degree angles.


Fold till you have almost the entire ribbon in a square shape. Then carefully grab the back of the ribbon (the short pieces with the tails hanging) and turn upside down.



Holding onto the tail ends firmly let the folded pieces drop away from you (sorry that one picture was blurry...it's really hard to do the ribbon at the same time as taking pictures! lol!)



Still holding firmly to one of the ends (top ribbon above picture) , begin pulling the other loose end (lower end ribbon in above picture) - gathering up the ribbon in folds (like rose petals).



Isn't it COOOOOL???? (this was when everyone went WOW!). She said it works with any type of ribbon. I've tried Satin (which looks unbelievable), and I've tried grosgrain, taffeta and organdy. All perfection. I don't know if velvet would work - haven't tried yet!


Alright - to adhere...quickly fold the rose upside down and run a tiny bit of Tombow Snail under the loose end attaching it to the rose. Then I added dimensionals on the back to attach to the card. Trim the ends and you have a beautiful rose, with leaves! I think it's stunning!

.........Alright back to the card - I did run the watercolor piece through the Big Shot with the Top Note Die - but I used the reverse end, only hanging the top portion (about 3/4 inch) of the watercolored piece over the die (the rest of the watercoloring hanging out). This created that pretty shaped effect and I just added the cut piece on top.

I also added the sentiment flower popped up (don't you think it matches well?).

OK...be SURE to check out Dawn and Laura's Fabulous Friend creations! This was fun girls!

Recipe: Stamps: Soft Summer, Bella Toile Background, Oval All; Ink: Black Stazon, Chocolate Chip, Kiwi Kiss, Riding Hood Red; Paper: Confetti Cream, Chocolate Chip, Walk in the Park DSP, Watercolor Paper, Ruby Red; Accessories: Aqua Painter, Reinkers, Big Shot, Top Note, Piercer, Grosgrain Ribbon, Scalloped Oval Punch, Oval Punch, Dimensionals, Large Brads, Sponge.

28 comments:

Tracy said...

Beautiful card!! And that rose idea is awesome, I ran right down to my studio to grab a piece of ribbon. It took me a few tries but I think I got it! I can see how that was a WOW idea!Thanks for the instructions!

Dawn Easton said...

BEAUTIFUL Christine! Your watercolouring is awesome! Love your added elements, especially that flower!! I AM going to do this today...lol! Thanks for your tutorial it rocks girl!!

Amy Sheffer said...

Gorgeous card, Christine! And thanks so much for sharing the ribbon rose tutorial - can't wait to try that!!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

um this card is a wow! It almost looks like the flowers are popping off of a wax background or something, I can't even describe it! Thanks for the tutorial, I am gonna have to try this one. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card, Christine! I love the dogwood blossoms and thanks so much for the ribbon rose tutorial! The thank you cards you made for the arrival of your new niece are wonderful! Great design!

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job on the card, what a great challenge idea between you guys!
Your tutorial of the Rose is well done...what a great throw away from Stage at the end of her actual Demo, hey? I had to run home and try it too! I have better luck with the finer ribbon, so I think this one is great by you!
...and I love how you give such credit to the best of your ability to those you learned it from!

Lynne Phelps said...

I can't figure out how you got from the first 90 degree fold to the second folded picture. I don't understand what you did to get from the one picture to the next step. Can you explain a little more? This looks so awesome and I am so frustrated with myself for not getting it!!!

Linda Carson said...

GORGEOUS! Your coloring is so beautiful! Thanks for the ribbon details. I have to try it!

Anonymous said...

What an incredible card! The bow is just the icing on the cake.

Denise Marzec said...

Your coloring is outta this world, and that ribbon bow...ohhhh, I'll try it because I love the way it looks...I just hope I can do it right (ribbon and I don't always get along, LOL!)

Stacy Morgan said...

So very cool! I will have to give that a try. Beautiful card!

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

What a wonderful ribbon rose to go on your lovely card. If I tried this, it would probably look like a ribbon mess. I'm not on friendly terms w/ ribbon, lol.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful card with gorgeous painting! Love that set! I have a rather old book with instructions for making these ribbon roses and used to make them all the time for fabric photo frames. I'm so glad to see you sharing a tutorial because they're awesome for cards! They're one of those lovely inventions it's difficult to give credit for the original idea, though bless the heart of the crafty seamstress who first thought them up!

Anonymous said...

Christine, your tutorial is fabulous! The card is absolutely gorgeous, and your watercoloring is so beautiful! I know it takes a lot of time to do a tutorial, thank you so much for sharing.

JulieA said...

Wow!!!! Double Wow Wow! I love what you did with that card...now I'm going to be unhappy with my M&T at the Seattle Regionals, unless I play with it. Thanks for the fab idea! And that ribbon rose is gorgeous. I'm going to have to go head into the craft room now and try it, instead of doing that icky housecleaning...but who wouldn't want to craft instead? Thanks again!

Rose Ann said...

This is so very beautiful, and your coloring of those flowers is amazing!! Fab ribbon treatment, once again!! I will have to give this a try. Thanks!

Kelly Lunceford said...

What a beautiful card! I used to sit in church as a little girl and make roses with my hair bow or the tie on my dress. I love it! I have always wanted to try and do it on a card, but I didn't know how to adhere it...now I do! thanks for the tips!

Joyce across the Pond said...

Great rose! Been making roses by various means for years but this is so simple! Thanks for the idea. Thanks for the lovely cards.

Nancy Riley said...

How FUN that you, Dawn & Laura challenged each other in this unique way! All three versions are FABULOUS!

Your tutorial is fantastic!

snarflemarfle said...

Wowza! That reminds me of the ribbon rose I learned to make from the ladies that worked at my dad's pharmacy (he had a retail section and they would wrap gifts). It looks similar to your rose. I'll have to go try your version right now!

Anonymous said...

Don't get real carried away looking for the original designer for that ribbon tutorial.. I learned how to make those back in 1980! LOL! And I have NO IDEA where or who I learned it from- possibly at a Michael's or a Ben Franklin craft store. Could have even been Better Homes & Garden book. Seems to me it was on some sort of little tear-off craft instruction sheet given away as "freebies" in stores, though. The little pads hung off the shelf edge.

Crafting was sort of "limited" back then- I didn't have access to all the goodies then that I have now.
-Rebecca

Kirsten said...

Fabulous card and a great ribbon rose! It was my blog that she found the video tutorial for the ribbon rose. I am not the original creator though it has been one of those things that have been floating out there for years and years. I had found some old instructions that were written and hard to figure out so when I did finally get it I made the video so others could do it too. here is the link to the video.
http://imstampinsilly.blogspot.com/2009/03/ribbon-roses-how-to.html

Nicole said...

stinkin' adorable! thanks so much for sharing and for the tutorial! Definitely have to try this ASAP!

Nicole said...

I think I found the blog you referred to:
http://imstampinsilly.blogspot.com/2009/03/ribbon-roses-how-to.html
Kristen Brown

Sharon said...

Thanks so much! I'm so excited that I actually could make this rose. Your directions were great, and the card you made is just beautiful!

Jill Haddad said...

Thanks so much for the fantastic tutorial. I saw this rose on Laura's blog and went online in search of tutorial. I found one and got the folding part down but the final step of holding one tail and pulling the other wasn't well written and I couldn't figure it out. Yours is a great tutorial with easy to follow photos and directions.

Leeya Engel said...

thanks for a great tutorial i have been wondering how to do these!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the ribbon rose tutorial, it was just what I needed :-)