Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Toonie Tuesday - To Grandmother's House We Go

Alright Emily's color challenge this week had me a little stumped. Riding Hood Red (love it), Green Galore (hmmmm) and Going Gray....let me go check...I usually have at least a little of every SU color....searching, searching....nothing, not a scrap, not a smidge, not a teeny tiny piece. So, time to get creative. I have Basic Gray - one of my favourite colors to pair with anything and I have vellum....so we had to make it work.

Here is Sample One: To Grandmother's House We Go






Really the title came from the Riding Hood Red name, it's what it always makes me think of. I tried out my new set, Pocket Silhouettes, a really pretty set that just happens to be on sale right now that gives you a sweet botanical feel. I stamped these field flowers in Riding Hood Red and omitted the stems, then added the stems with my SW Marker. (There's the green). I also used that same stamp in Riding Hood Red on the main background for a subtle look.


On the next layer I used a piece of Ginger Blossom DP over stamped it with Canvas to get a deepr Riding Hood Red color and distressed the edges with ink. Layered it on Basic Gray and Vellum.



The main panel Basic Gray layer is stamped with the grass from Inspired by Nature and the Vellum layer is also stamped with the grass in Craft White. Going Gray look - without going gray! Some piercing as accent around the large ovals gives it some pretty detailing and a pretty greeting and some tailored ribbon treatment. Simply done.


Sample Two: Golden Autumn




Here is a card I made months ago in fall colors with some glitzy gold. Maybe a little over the top actually. But I wanted to give the feeling of a fall array of leaves scattered in front of you. It really is a most beautiful part of the season.
Here I stamped With Gratitude several times in several ways with a lot of masking and layering. I used Craft Ink and Clear Embossing powder and also Gold Embossing Powder all on Kraft paper using an out of the box technique. Once I got the look I liked I watercolored some of the leaves with some rich colors and also bleached some of the leaves too. (Cool effect isn't it? I hardly ever do it just because bleach is so smelly and messy...but it always looks cool). Some leaves are also cut out and popped up and the greeting is as well.
The ribbon is dyed with SW markers to get that deep burgundy color and it's layered over Chocolate Grosgrain.


Here is a closeup where you can see more of the ribbon detailing and the gold shimmer. Lost more detail on this one, and more time invested...it's for those really special occasions. Thanks for looking today!

Recipes: Sample One - Grandmother's House: Stamps: Pocket Silhouettes, Inspired by Nature, Canvas Bk Paper: Riding Hood Red, Basic Gray, Vellum, Whisper White, Ginger Blossom DP Ink: Riding Hood Red, Basic Gray, White Craft Accessories: Silver Brads, Large Oval Punch, Word Window Punch, Riding Hood Red Wide Striped Grosgrain, Dimensionals, Piercer

Sample Two - Golden Autumn: Stamps: With Gratitude, Weathered, Sincere Salutations Ink: Bravo Burgundy Craft, VersaMark Paper: Bravo Burgundy, Kraft, Chocolate Chip Accessories: Gold Brads, Taffeta Ribbon, Grosgrain Ribbon, Embossing Powder, Oval Punches, Circle Punches, Bleach

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, both of these cards are gorgeous Christine. You've done an excellent job with this challenge! The second card is absolutely stunning! So beautiful for the fall. I love yor ribbon detail, so very beautiful!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

These are just stunning Christine! Love all the details on your Riding Hood card...the ribbon and brads and the sentiment...all so perfect. The gold on the second really sets it off! Gorgeous all round!

Shirley said...

First, I love both of your cards and I also love your wonderful children! TFS both.

Rose Ann said...

Both of these are soooo beautiful, Christine!! That is a great layout for those smaller floral images, and your fall card is gorgeous and colorful!!

Joan Ervin said...

Your cards are absolutely gorgeous, Christine!!! You really know how to balance all the elements sooo perfectly!! The colors on the second card are soooo stunning...beautifully done!!! BTW, love your new pic!!

Lori said...

Wow - I simply love your "sample one"... the use of the vellum and the background stamp - and wow! it's just all so great!

Shirley said...

They are both so pretty. I love how simplicity really is rewarding in the first card. Your attention to detail in the second with the gold embossed leaves is wonderful!