Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Birthday Bear Pops of Colour

I was talking with my kids the other day about what colours combined make other colours, why certain colours work together, and why hockey teams often choose colours that are complementary (across the wheel from each other) for their uniforms.  Colour theory is really interesting to me.  

Today I’ve got an example of complementary colours on this cute little birthday design, and they happen to be our NHL team's colours too, though unfortunately we’re not doing very well right now, much to the dismay of my boys.  I think blue and orange make a great combination particularly for boys.   


I pulled out the stamp Beary Special Birthday from My Favorite Things  because that little bear is just so cute.  I began by giving him some colour with Copics, making him a cozy brown, then I trimmed him out.  I used other elements from the set to create background for the layers.  I think these colours really pair well with white because it tones down the contrast and seems to pull everything together well.  


I placed him on a little scalloped frame (also from MFT) and added some white enamel dots for finish. 


And here’s the sweet and simple inside finish!  

I’ll list the Copics I used since I coloured on the fly and don’t have a good picture.  

Bear:  E11, E13, E15, E17, E18
Balloon:  YR14, YR16, R18
Present & Shadow:  B21, B23, B24



5 comments:

Helen said...

What a sweet card. Great color combination...and the subtle gifts and balloons in the background paper just adds that extra something to the birthday message. The bear is adorable! tfs

Conniecrafter said...

that is just too cute and the colors really pop! That is one thing I am not good at is putting colors together

JoAnn said...

Cute card. Love the cute bear and the blue/orange color combo. TFS

Nora Noll said...

I had to comment on this card because first-your balloon coloring is just fantastic!! Second because you used two of my FAVORITE colors together-orange and blue. Onto Pinterest this goes!!

Leslie Miller said...

He's an adorable little guy and you colored him so beautifully! I've always loved blue and orange together and, in fact, am a little nuts about color in general. Another cute card design, too. The little frame is perfect for him and I love the sentiment!