Monday, September 1, 2008

Life Shared with a Friend

Today's Technique Lover's Challenge over at Splitcoast is called Black Magic and uses Prisma color pencils, a blending solution, light colored craft ink, and a dark background paper. By coloring with these pencils and blending solution (Odourless Mineral Spirits) on the dark paper you get a pop of color. It's a new technique for me, but I think it's really pretty.

So these Flourishes coffee mugs are stamped in white craft and then the colors are dipped into the odorless mineral spirits and added to the black being careful not to color over the white stamped areas.

For my sentiment I changed the first word from *Coffee shared with a friend* to *Life shared with a friend*. Life is hand written with a fine point marker and I tried to get it to look like the fonted script on the lower part of the sentiment.

I'm trying to create the right card for my very good friend's 40th birthday. So this is one possibility. She and I met each other at camp in Junior High, became friends, did some things together in junior high and then lost touch. We both grew up and started our careers and began raising a family. 10 years ago we moved back to Canada from the States and started looking for a church. One of our first Sunday's after we had said the church we call home now was really *HOME*, we sat behind this couple; she looked at me and I looked at her...and we realized who the other was. It was so funny. We joined a small group with them as our leaders, each had two of our three kids within months of the other and have shared much of life together. So, turning 40 together (I'm just about 8 weeks behind her in the end of October)...is pretty special. We've walked through a lot of life together in these 10 years in particular. I'm blessed to call her my friend.


I also added a little scalloping on the edge of the red layer of the large oval punched piece to distinguish it from the white and to give it a little pop. Pretty layered ribbons and rhinestone brads for some pizzazz.

Recipe: Stamps: Flourishes - Coffee With Friends, SU Polka dot Background Ink: White Craft, Basic Black Paper: Whisper White, Real Red, Basic Black Accessories: Organdy Ribbon, Wide Grosgrain Ribbon, Black Gingham Ribbon, Scallop Edge Punch, Wide Oval Punch, Ticket Corner Punch, Fire Rhinestone Ribbons, Dimensionals, White Gel Pen, SW Marker, Prismacolor Pencils, Odorless Mineral Spirits.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Another really gorgeous card! You are so creative. I love your colors and how you used your embelishments too!

Anonymous said...

A gorgeous card Christine! Wow, this technique is beautiful and you're making me want another cup of coffee! Hugs, Jerri

Rose Ann said...

Beautiful job with the technique, Christine!! I love the set you've used, and the colors you chose!!