Friday, June 22, 2018

My First Love


Way back when, when I first began colouring for stamping, I most often used watercolour.  Copics weren’t even on the radar yet, for the cardmaker at least, and I had learned watercolouring in art class in high school.  So, swing forward 10 + years and I’ve forgotten a lot about this first colouring love of mine.  So, this month,  I’ve been taking an online watercolour course from Online Card Classes,  and it’s been really good!  It has reminded me of many things I had forgotten, and also shown me some things I don’t know if I had learned before.  It’s been really fun.  So, today I am returning to my "first love" of colouring and playing with this amazing new digital image from Power Poppy called Irresistible Peonies. OH MY, GORGEOUS!  I printed it in the no-line version that comes with the set onto Arches Cold Pressed paper.  This paper is a lighter weight so it goes through my printer well.

I am no watercolouring expert, and there are numerous imperfections, but I am enjoying the process once again, as I am rediscovering this medium.  I painted with my Gansai Tambi Watercolour Pans, and a little Daniel Smith watercolour as well.  

I added a die cut sentiment (MFT) that I had watercoloured, and stamped the little “hello” from the Sweet Memories polymer set from Power Poppy.  


Isn’t it a beautiful image?  This Digital Blitz that Marcy has released has such awesome images and new sentiments.  Did you see she released another one yesterday? Azaleas!   Find them all HERE.  

I’ve finished off the card with some rounded corners for our Round and Round Power & Spark Challenge this month ( you could win a $50 gift certificate to the Power Poppy Store!) and a few sequins.  Very simple to let the watercolour shine. 

Here’s the Bloom Brigade playing along with inspiration for you today!  

Allison Cope
Christine Okken

Stacy Morgan
and Marcy at the Power Poppy Blog

6 comments:

Allison Cope said...

Thud... my jaw just hit the floor! Wooooo! It's AH-mazing Christine! It's absolutely breathtaking! Apparently I need to drive North to get you to teach me how to watercolour!! Stunning card today!

Stacy Morgan said...

Christine this is gorgeous. I like that you are going back to your first love and trying new things. You and Leslie are my watercolor queens. Simply gorgeous.

Elaine M said...

Oh My! I've got to dig my watercolors out and start practicing. This is beautiful!

Conniecrafter said...

You are doing a wonderful job using watercolor once again, this is beautiful, I think you have found your way again!

Leslie Miller said...

I need to take this class. In my dreams I could produce such beautiful results as this, ha! Really, Christine, you've done an amazing job on this gorgeous image. The digis are so nice in that they can be enlarged for easier watercoloring. I've not yet found the time to do the Copics and Prismas class I purchased, but watercolor is my first love, too. Ohhhh, you make me swoon, sigh...

Aileen said...

Such an amazing looking flower, I do so love this colour you have chosen. It looks just wonderful. There is never perfection, as nature has wrinkles of its own truly Christine look at it as we see it ' stunning beauty'. We all dream of being this good.