Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Scripture Series I


Hello Friends,

My sister-in-law had a birthday recently and one of the things I like to do for her every now and then is to send some cards with Scripture on them.  She loves to give them to people in her life.  As I was making a dozen or so cards for her,  I thought I’d then show them to you over a few week's time.  Maybe it will turn into a bit longer series, as I’ll create more that I can then use too.

I find this to be a really good creative challenge, since most of my cardmaking has colouring as the center piece of what I do.  In all of these designs the sentiment, or Bible verse will be the centerpiece of the card, so its much more about layout, patterned paper and overall design that the colouring.  Most of the designs will have a clean and simple style as well.  So, I hope you’ll enjoy this over the next weeks, along with my regular style of colouring images for my cards.




As I looked through my stamps I realized that I have a lot of great Bible verses to use, so it’s really delightful to choose meaningful ones for these cards.  This first design uses an Our Daily Bread Designs set, Scripture Series 1.  I embossed the Bible verse from Psalm 73 onto watercolour paper and added in a wash of purples with my water brush.  Next, I framed it up with an MFT scalloped rectangle die, flipping the outside of the frame from the inner rectangle 180 degrees.  This adds some variety from the inside watercolouring to the outside frame.  

I added some pretty posies from a Verve set, Poppy Birthday, using several different purple inks between the layers.  On the background I used an embossing folder for the designer paper and sanded the paper a bit so that the white would show through.  Some scallops along the top and a bit of lace finishes the bottom edge off.  For a girl who doesn’t usually reach for purple first, I really like how it turned out.  And, a powerful promise of encouragement too.  




Next up is a design with a little more masculine style.  I used Our Daily Bread Designs set, Light of the World for this one.  On the cream patterned paper, I stamped the lighthouse image in Memento Summer Sky in the background and the Bible verse in the forground in Memento Olive Grove.  I created a little “port-hole” out of stitched circle dies, and then added more patterned paper and tied it all together with a double sailor’s knot and some buttons.  

So, there you have week one!  I’ll be back tomorrow with some Power Poppy colouring for you!  Thanks for dropping by!  




5 comments:

KarinsArtScrap said...

2 beautiful cards Christine
Gr Karin

Unknown said...

Love this post. Thanks for the great ideals always, but I think this may be my favorite series. Looking forward to seeing more Scripture Cards.

Conniecrafter said...

I so love the watercolor feel to the first one and the embossed background gives it great texture. The masculine card is terrific too, love the knot and the wood background with that image, great idea for your sister in law for her to send out!

Leslie Miller said...

These are beautiful, Christine. You're always so clever with your designs, so I'll look forward to more. Love the faintly stamped lighthouse in the second card.

Judys said...

I love these cards you did and the whole idea of beautiful scripture cards.