Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Gratitude Project - Week 6

\ˈgra-tə-ˌtüd, -ˌtyüd\

The quality of being thankful:  readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness. 

This week because of Valentine’s Day I thought I’d focus on who I’m most grateful for in this life, my family that I love.  


Our kids are an endless source of joy and gratitude for me.  At 19, 16 and 12 they are at such a great age because we’re seeing more and more of what a relationship looks like with them as teens heading into adulthood.  One is almost out of the teens and one is about to enter the teen years.  I have loved these times with them.  Here they are on Saturday afternoon playing Clue together and I quickly snapped a shot of them.  Nothing like a little friendly competition amoung siblings :).  Each of our children are unique and have qualities that make them special.  I love their individual characteristics, they have such beautiful identities, and it’s so fun watching their distinctiveness come out.  I love our times as a family and the amount of laughter we share.  Not that it’s all laughter and roses all the time!  They all know how to push each other’s buttons for sure!  BUT - they are all gifted, bright, hard-working, loyal and giving people.  I love who they are growing up to be.   They love each other (and even like each other most of the time), they love Jesus, they love others.  What more could I ask for from anyone?  I am so blessed.  They have grown and stretched me more than I thought possible, and they continue to help make me into who I am even as I parent them through these teen years.  I am beyond grateful for them. 




And how could I forget my sweetheart this Valentine’s Day?  Here he is working on supper last night (yummy Smashed Potato Soup).    He often cooks on the weekend and I’m grateful for that thing for sure!  I think we’ve celebrated 23 or 24 Valentine’s Day’s together as sweethearts, half of my life has been with him at my side, and me at his!  After that many years with someone, they definitely know all of your best and worst sides.  We’ve seen a lot, experienced a lot, known joy and grief, celebration and sadness, and yet still - he chooses me.  He chooses me when my imperfections are at their greatest, or when I’m at my best.  You can’t really quantify what that means can you?  He loves me in ways that are sacrifical and servant-hearted.  He is steadfast, he makes me laugh, he finds things when I’ve lost them, he helps me remember my passwords, he drives places to get things for me, or for the kids tirelessly, he rubs my back at night, he kills bugs that need killing, and he’s great at fixing just about anything.  He’s my love, not because of what he does - but because of who he is.  


This was taken by my dear friend Clara Cecelia this fall at our photo shoot.  I love this shot because it reflects our personality and heart toward each other.  I love being tucked into him.  That’s my safe place in life.  And that’s a lot to be grateful for.  


4 comments:

Conniecrafter said...

Great family post, Happy Valentine's day!!

Stacy Morgan said...

This warms me heart reading Christine and makes me wish for another trip to see you all. What a blessing they are I agree. Happy belated Valentines day!

Brenda said...

Love this post, Christine! Thanks for sharing it.

Marisa said...

What a great post, Christine!! I echo your words fully re: our family. LOVE that my kids are good friends and our family is very close knit. Adore that picture of you and hubby - he has a rather mischevious twinkle in his eye ;) We are blessed indeed!!