Oh I found this most gorgeous flower image at A Day for Daisies this week! The open lines and flowers look so pretty. This one is called Painted Flowers 4. Because it’s a digi, oftentimes you think you can’t watercolour the image, but with care, you can still print it on cardstock and get a great watercolour effect. For this design I started with the background and got some warm grey re-inker and put a couple of drops onto a lid, then I added some water to the palette and got a really light wash of watered down grey in my brush, keeping the brush pretty wet. Then I washed the background in. The big thing is that you have to have a light touch and you only get one swipe at it. :) If you come back and try to blend too much (like you would on watercolor paper) your paper will pill. So, it’s really almost a staining of your paper rather than a painting. I do sometimes come in and add more color with more concentration of colour and less water, and you can see some of that in the greys above.
Next I added some sweeps of purple reinker with lots of water in it too. For fun, when parts of the flower were quite wet I let some really concentrated colour bleed (you can see that at the base of the flower). I let this dry completely.
Then, after it was dry I added some prismacolour pencil in the depths of the purple bloom to give it more contrast. Then I “smudged in some words to the background, “hope trusts, hope believes”. I wanted it to be faint, and I think if I were to do it again, I’d even make it more faint or blend it with some OMS. I also splattered some grey reinker onto the design to finish it off. The sentiment is from an older SU alpha set, (Typeset). The papers are mish mash of what I had on hand. Some MME barnboard themed paper, and some other stack I had on hand for the purple.
A few enamel dots, a corduroy button, some twine and a bit of sewing accent the design.
This whole “painterly” effect is for this week’s ADFD Challenge, which is really fun.