Sunday, March 30, 2014

Azaleas

Welcome back for day three of Sneak Peeks of Marcy’s amazing first release at Power Poppy!  Oh my, today’s set is why this woman is my very favourite illustrator ever.  You will love what you see.  



Sweeping and free, this set simply named Azalea is begging to be colored with reckless abandon. It could inspire an outrageous upsurge in your use of pink markers, colored pencils, and paint! Use the lush blooms of these images to let a friend know how much she is missed, or to say thanks to another who is just plain amazing! This 4" by 6" set was illustrated by hand with a whole lotta love by Marcella Hawley. 


I have to tell you how this card came about.  Do you ever buy a pack of paper and look at some sheet in the pack and say, “ooh I’ll have to save that sheet for a really special card”.  I’m totally that way.  This floral paper behind the design is just that sheet and I knew as soon as I saw this set that it would be for this design.  The pack is MME - My Favorite Things Six by Six.  The combination of mint and yellow and coral are so pretty with the beautiful pattern.  So, everything revolved around pulling these two beautiful things together.  


I even found a pretty peach resin flower in my stash that looks remarkably like an azalea flower for the sentiment.  With a pretty coral ribbon and lots of sewing of the layers it’s a card I’m really in love with.  And WOW, how gorgeous to colour.  Amazing fun.  


Here’s the Copic selection I used for the design.  

And here are the beautiful azaleas that inspired me:



Doesn't that flower just make you swoon? Don't wait to exhale, breathe in the beauty and hop on over to see the rest of the Bloom Brigade!

Allison Cope
Christine Okken (you are here)
Cindy Lawrence
Danielle Kennedy
Dawn Burnworth
Julie Koerber
Kathy Jones
Katie Sims
Leslie Miller
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker

Tomorrow's set is sure to deliver a little dose of serenity. Need some? Check on back to see the Bloom Brigade and all its Zen-like creativity! 

33 comments:

Cheryl said...

I've never seen an azalea in those colors. Beautiful! The paper was perfect, too!

Julie Koerber said...

Christine, I love how you just gave us a peek at how you were inspired here! The result is breathtaking. The depth in your coloring is incredible!

Katie Sims said...

Christine, when I saw this I gasped! Your coloring is so striking and delicate at the same time. LOVE the colors you chose to use...this is going to have me smiling all day...what a breath of fresh Spring air! :)

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow stunning Christine and great coloring.


gr karin

KimCreate said...

sSooooooooo beautiful

Pauline said...

Christine this is gorgeous! Love the colours of the Azelas, and the paper is a perfect match!

Heather Rogers said...

You never disappoint, Christine. I can always count on a beautiful work of art when I come to your blog. I absolutely LOVE your flowers, they are colored to perfection. Your inspiration photo is stunning. I must have this set. :)

Karen W said...

Oh my this set is fabulous as is your coloring and shading!! I can't wait to get my hands on these stamps!!

Traci M said...

This is gorgeous, Christine!! You do have a knack for incorporating pretty papers into coloring florals...something I find hard to do!!

Jerri Jimenez said...

So incredibly beautiful! I love this card Christine, your Azaleas are beyond compare!

Allison Cope said...

Oh my.... the depth of your Azaleas is amazing Christine! The touches of peach tones and oranges is stunning! Wowsers girl!

Marcella Hawley said...

YOWZA!!! Cindy, are you trying to give us all heart attacks from beauty overload? Your card is quite simply EPIC. EPIC!

Sewflake said...

Stunning work sweet lady!! Love the colors, they look very close to the plant that is getting ready to bloom in our back yard! One of my favorite flowers. What a gift to Spring.

Leslie Miller said...

Your colors and coloring are simply amazing, Christine!! These are the colors I imagined this branch when I first saw it. Very close to our wild azaleas in this area. Breathtaking!

Marisa said...

Beautifully coloured and showcased - love azaleas and can't wait for ours to bloom :)

905lovestostamp said...

Christine, I've seen many beautiful cards on your site since I've subscribed to your blog updates, but this card is by far the most beautiful. Your coloring absolutely blew me away--this card DEMANDS to be in a magazine, no wrong--this card DEMANDS to be on THE COVER of a stamping/card-making magazine. And to receive a compliment from Marcella--no one can say it better than she can, I do think that this card could inspire a heart attack just based on its beauty, WOW!!! What a thrill to see such gorgeous coloring (wishing I lived a whole lot closer and could take some lessons in copic coloring. Perhaps you are blessed--I'd be on your doorstep in a flash whenever classes were offered! :) ), especially from a fellow Canadian as well a Sister in Christ. Those colors look like they came out of the Garden of Eden!!! THRILLED to see this card, and I do hope it finds its way on a leading magazine cover--SOON!!! Sending hugs from Ontario, Canada Joanne Lowe

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgegous Christine! I like the picture of the blooms that inspired you as those are awesome. Your dp and designs are perfectly sweet and Springy!

CherylQuilts said...

Another fabulous card, Christine! I LOVE your colors and design! I do the same and find actual photos of the flowers and am always amazed and the various colors! Totally exquisite! Hugs!

Liz Williams said...

Your colors on this are awesome. I love this stamp.

Becky said...

Christine, this is just stunning! Your coloring is just fabulous.

Grace said...

Oh Christine this is gorgeous!!! I love how perfectly you matched the colors to your dp and the shading is soooo beautiful! LOVE the layout and design... just so gorgeous!!!

Sharyn Polesel said...

OMgosh, this is gorgeous! I hope this set is for sale soon because I have to have it! Love your beautiful coloring!

AussieParcher said...

Beautiful colouring, beautiful papers, beautiful layout all come together in this stunning card.

Marcella Hawley said...

Oh my gosh, I typed "Cindy" when I meant CHRISTINE! Maybe I should have had my nap BEFORE I started typing... But coming back to your page, I got to ogle your Azalea card AGAIN! <3

Cindy Lawrence said...

This is drop-dead gorgeous, Christine! Your coloring is beautiful, and so wonderfully resembles the inspiration photo!

Kathy Jones said...

*SWOON* Christine you are incredibly talented and your colouring is DIVINE!!! Love the light and shade and colours you've chosen. That saying is perfect....I think you're so AMAZING!! :)

Stephanie McKnight said...

This is the most beautiful card I have ever seen to-date! The combination of paper, colors, and your coloring is the best ever. I love all your work. Thank you for the inspiration you always give me.

dpkennedy said...

Your coloring on these flowers is stunning! I wish I had those in my garden! Wow-gorgeous card!

Conniecrafter said...

I just love the peachy color, does work great with the paper and love the resin flower for your sentiment tag, perfect to top it off, Lovely creation!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Girl...your coloring is a true inspiration!! You never cease to amaze me with how you bring images to life with your skills!! This card is absolutely STUNNING!!

Papercrafting With Angelina said...

Wow, that is such a beautiful coloring job! Just jumps right out at you Christine! TFS

Cheryl O said...

Your card is so gorgeous, words don't do it justice!! And, the real ones, are breathtaking as well! I can see why you were so inspired. Just beautiful!!!! :) Thank you!

Lagene said...

WOWZERS! Your coloring is AWESOME! Gorgeous card!