Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Coloring Three Ways

Well, you've probably guessed that my favourite part of the stamping process is the coloring.  This Christmas my daughter and husband picked out some more Prismacolor pencils for me (which I love).  We were talking about it one day, and my husband said, "you love having more than one way to color don't you?"  And I had to smile.  I really do love my three mediums.  I've learned copics and prismacolors in the past year or so and really love having a few more options in my coloring repetoire.

So I thought it would be fun to do a post focussing on my three favourite methods of coloring, and to show you the difference between them.  I've also included 3 sketches for this week, Mojo126, SFYTT, and the Splitcoast SC268. 

Here's how it all started. 


On the left we have coloring with Prismacolor Pencils, in the center we have Watercoloring and on the right we have coloring with Copic Markers.   All with PTI's Autumn Abundance set. 

And here are the finished cards, and I'll tell you what I love about each medium.  ( You can click on any photo to make it larger). 


From left to right SFYTT, Mojo126 and SC268


Copic Markers have this wonderful richness to the color, it is vibrant smooth, and most images color up really easily and quickly, if I'm in a hurry I always reach for my copics.  They also work really well with smaller images that aren't as easy to watercolor.  It's fun to blend the color combinations, and there are SO many color to choose from.   This was Jen's SFYTT for this week.


Prismacolor pencils are such fun to work with, I feel like I'm back in elementary school again.  They have the nicest gradiant of color from soft to deep and I really love that.  It really creates a sense of light in your creation.  Plus you can also blend with a blending stump and or gamsol or another solvent based material too.  I also added color to the designer paper coloring in some of the flowers to look more like the sunflowers in the picture.  I colored this image first on Christmas vacation, just to color, so in hindsight I might like to have had more olive in the leaves.  This is the Mojo126 sketch. 


And now for some watercolor.  This is the medium that I've used the longest, since High School actually.  What do I love about watercolor?  The blending is unlike any other medium, and you can achieve really lovely rich color too.  It's not a quick process laying down color, but it's peaceful, and I love the results.  It gives such a lifelike effect.  This is for today's SC268. 

In these last two samples I also colored the ribbon with Copic Markers for a perfect match to the paper. 

So after all this, which is my favourite?  Well, I do LOVE them all, at different times for different reasons.  But, I have to go with my baby...watercolor.


A delightful day is a day full of coloring!  In any medium!

Come back on Friday and I'll have some more coloring to show you! 

Recipe:  Stamps:  PaperTrey Ink - Autumn Abundance;  Paper:  Brilliant Blue, More Mustard, Flourishes Classic White, Watercolor paper, Jersey Shore DSP;  Ink:  Brilliant Blue, Memento Tuxedo Black, Black Stazon;  Accessories:  Big Shot, Labels One Nestabilities, MS Rings Punch, and Rings Corner Punch, Circle Punch, Mustard Brads, White Taffeta Ribbon, Dimensionals, Glue Dots, Bow Easy, Markers, Aqua Painter, Prismacolor Pencils, Copic Markers

18 comments:

Crystal said...

These are fabulous wow Christine your coloring is AWESOME!!!Love all these different versions!!! BEAUTIFUL!

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Broni said...

This was a wonderful comparison, Christine! And your cards are all awesome!!

Marisa said...

So many amazing creations you and other ladies colour. Maybe one day I'll be able to do the same... Love the three samples too. Great work :D

perennial-mommy said...

These are all beautiful, but I'll have to agree that the watercolor is my favorite, too!

Shannon Erskine aka e3stamper said...

How fun!! Love having different coloring mediums too but I tend to use my copics the most!! If I could watercolor like you I might do more watercoloring though!LOL!!

Silke Ledlow said...

WOW - Christine...you really blow me away with your coloring!!! Each medium is done perfectly!!! Fabulous designed cards!!! Hugs ~S~

Gloria Dojlido said...

Wow! I love watercolouring too! BUT..just got a few copics...beginning to like them alot!

Your colouring is just outstanding!

Anonymous said...

Any method you choose, you've done a most beautiful job of colouring!! These are all beautiful!! TFS
Beth Greco

Grace said...

Wow oh wow! You really have aced all three techniques and I love them all too! I have to say though that push come to shove I still love water coloring the best too... it is slow but so relaxing and I love moving that color around on the paper until I have the gradation I want. This color scheme is soooo rich and yummy! I'll give you my addy any time hon!!! LOL!

Lynne Phelps said...

Do you use actual watercolor paints, or do you paint with re-inkers? If you use watercolors, what brand do you like? I love this post with the same image done three different ways - lovely example of the different qualities of each medium!

Tasha said...

Woe these are really fabulous - i love the beautiful colours you have used which go beautifully with the image
love tasha xx

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

What fun! Love the 3 different coloring mediums and such a great way to showcase them. Great job, Christine!

Betty Wright said...

Thanks for showing the difference in these coloring mediums. I love them all and feel each really offers its own special look! Great ensemble, Christine!

Denise Marzec said...

I'm in awe of your coloring skills....seriously, it doesn't matter what medium you use...they're all fantastic! Love coming to your blog to see what you've been up to....it's never a disappointment.

Rose Ann said...

You are so gifted with coloring in all of these mediums, Christine!! Your cards are gorgeous!!

America said...

WOMAN, YOU ARE A COLORING PRO/MACHINE/GENIUS!!! I CAN TOTALLY see how your Favorite part of stamping is COLORING!!! Ya know, coloring is my LEAST favorite part of papercrafting! Seriouosly! And if I could go stamp without ever having to color, Id be the happiest stamper out there! In fact, at house Mouse when it was my turn to host the challenge, I asked the entire DT to create without COLORING!! LOL!! (ahhm, they werent too happy about that-but I was relieved to NOT have to color on one challenge).... LOL!!!!

THIS IS why you my COLORING PRO-friend inspire me so much!!

Hey- maybe I could send you ALL of my stamped images and you could secretly color them ALL for me and then send them back to me to use on my projects & challenges! heheh. Oh Come-on! I wont tell if you wont!! Only Problem with that is, that I will be kicked out of all Design Teams! LOL!!!!! :)

I better get going and go learn some coloring techniques from your FAB tutorials....

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Christine, what a wonderful post! I so love your work, and it was good to see side-by-side your three images. I love them all, but my absolute favorite is watercolor. But, it is time-consuming and hard to achieve. You are a master! TFS this great post and for your encouragement!